Skin diseases are very common and vary greatly. Some can be painful while others could be completely painless, others may be temporary while some could be permanent, and few many be genetic whereas others could be situational. That said, the intensity of the skin diseases also differs – some are minor while others can also be life-threatening. However, most of the skin diseases are trivial and do not indicate a serious issue, but many skin diseases indicate an underlying problem.
Some of the skin diseases include:
- Cold sore
- Actinic keratosis
- Latex allergy
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Contact dermatitis
- Seborrheic eczema
- Keratosis pilaris
As mentioned earlier, these skin diseases vary on many factors and their intensity is different case-per-case. That said, it is important to know the symptoms of skin diseases and understand the steps to avoid total skin diseases be it of any nature or permanency.
Symptoms of skin diseases
Skin problems have no definite cause in most cases and have a wide range of symptoms. Not all symptoms that appear on the skin indicate skin disease. Hence, while symptoms of skin diseases depend on person-to-person, it is still possible to identify a skin disease based on the following factors:
- Red or white raised bumps
- Itchy and painful rash
- Scaly skin
- Peeling skin layer
- Sore ulcers
- Open sores
- Cracked and very dry skin
- Discoloured skin
- Fleshy bumps
- Abnormal skin growth
- Changes in moles on the skin
- Loss of skin pigment
Skin diseases or disorders can occur due to many reasons such as bacteria trapped in skin pores, bacteria in the hair follicles, microorganisms living on the skin, virus, weak immune system, genetic problems, allergens, irritants, and health problems such as thyroid and kidney. Moreover, lifestyle and diet also contribute largely to skin health. An unhealthy lifestyle and improper diet can cause a lot of skin diseases and disorders.
While it is easy to treat skin disorders, there may be some diseases that are permanent and cannot be cured or reversed; while there may also be cases that need a lot of recovery time. However, some of the common methods for treatment of skin diseases are medicated creams, ointments, antibiotics, vitamins, steroid injections, therapy, laser, medications, and antihistamines.
That said, many of the skin diseases reappear and hence, it is suggested to adopt practices to avoid total skin diseases. Some of the points that are to be noted while aiming to avoid total skin diseases are:
- Regularly washing hands with soap
- Do not share eating utensils
- Do not share drinking glasses
- Refrain from using things of a person suffering from a skin disease
- Avoid direct contact with an infected person
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Avoid filthy areas
- Refrain from using public washrooms
- Sanitize instruments and machines in the gym or elsewhere
- Do not share personal items such as hairbrushes, blankets, bedsheets, pillows, swimsuits, etc.
- Drink a lot of water
- Enrich your diet with the right nutrition and vitamins
- Engage in physical workout and maintain an active lifestyle
- Get a good sleep for 7 hours at least every night
- Get vaccinated for skin diseases such as chickenpox, etc.
Majority of people are affected by targeted skin problems such as acne breakouts, etc. While there are some skin disorders which may not be preventable, but acne breakouts can be prevented provided certain points are taken care of:
- Cleaning your face every day before going to bed
- Using a soft cleanser and washing your face twice a day
- Keeping the skin moisturized and hydrated
- Avoid harsh chemicals or irritants
- Eating healthy and nutritious food
- Sleeping well for at least 7 hours every night
- Keep away from using public items on the face such as a shared towel
- Check the ingredients of your skincare products
- Stay away from environmental and dietary allergens, as well as cross impact products
- Prevent skin stress
- Avoid extreme climatic conditions such as heat, cold or wind
- Drink lots of water to flush out toxins
- Avoid junk and spicy food
- Avoid hair problems such as dandruff, excessive secretion of oil, etc.
While many skin disorders will need proper medical attention and consultation from the doctor. Yet there are a lot of skin diseases that can be easily treated at home or prevented in the first place by taking into consideration factors listed above.