Department Of Hematology
The human body can pertain to various blood-related disorders such as sickle cell anemia, hemolytic anemia, thalassemia, pure red cell aplasia, nutritional anemia, hemophilia, bleeding disorders, different genetic bone marrow disorders, deep venous thrombosis, and various malignancies related to hematology. The Department of Hematology at CMRI Hospital, Kolkata takes into consideration the diagnosis and treatment of all the blood-related issues in patients of any age group.
The unit of clinical hematology is headed by senior clinical hematologists and hematopathologists who are trained in blood and its components related to illnesses. They provide medical care to both inpatients and outpatients. Both clinical and laboratory faculty of the department coordinate with one another to provide the best patient care under a single roof.
Our long-term vision is to develop a globalized standard of hematology sector wherein there are all the latest state-of-the-art diagnostic facilities, advancements in research, latest developments in transplantations, expansion of the repertoire of lab tests, and clinical care of the patients. The mission of the department is to control or manage debilitating disorders such as thalassemia and hemophilia, get an insight into aplastic and Fanconi's anemia through research, elaborate and expand the stem cell and bone marrow transplantation, and also possess the latest molecular technologies to perform protein expressions.
Why Choose CMRI for Hematology treatments?
- Best team of Doctors & Nursing Staff
- Minimally Invasive treatments
- International level of care
- Emergency care (24x7)
- Safe & hygienic operating rooms
- Patient safety at first
- World-class care
Hematology Treatment & Services Offered at CMRI, Best Multispecialty Hospital in Kolkata.
The department carries out its set protocols and standard operating procedures (SOP). It is equipped with various facilities like:
- Operation theatre
- Specialized clinics
- Daycare services (for outpatients) like chemotherapy, Bone marrow aspirations and biopsies, and lumbar puncture.
- Bone Marrow Transplant (Autologous and autologous)- It involves the replacement of diseased or infected bone marrow with healthy stem cells which is necessary as it is the place where the blood cells (RBC, WBC, and platelets) are produced.
- Haemopathology services like Complete Bound Count (CBC), coagulation profile, Peripheral smear examination, Bleeding and Clotting time, ESR, hemogram, hemoglobin estimation, and computerized reporting of blood tests across the patients.
- Blood transfusion for patients having Thalassemia
- Transfusion of red blood cells in mothers possessing Rh sensitization
- Stem cell transplantation for blood cancer patients (Leukaemia, Multiple myeloma, and Lymphomas) and other blood diseases such as primary immunodeficiency and hemoglobinopathies.
- Diagnosis of HIV/AIDS, and Hepatitis B or C by Western Blot and ELISA
- Evaluation or Screening of autoimmune disorders and transfusion-transmitted disorders
- Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA), tissue typing, and cross-matching
- Study of levels of serum iron and ferritin to evaluate Iron overload
- Comprehensive care center for Hemophilia patients
- Casualties/ Special wards/ Intensive Care Units (Services for hospitalized patients)
- Radiology and Chemotherapy
- Immunotherapy- Hybridoma technology
- Nuclear medicines
- Cytopathic/ Histopath/ Molecular services like Surface marker studies, Flow cytometry, PCR, and Reverse Dot Blot hybridization
- Special investigations of patients such as Haemoglobin electrophoresis, S. Protein electrophoresis, CD (Cluster of Differentiation) markers, Iron stains, Immunoelectrophoresis, and Coagulation factor estimation.
- Febrile Neutropenia (low levels of neutrophils in the blood leading to fever due to high risk of having infection) care by antibiotic therapy.
Some of the medical assistance (diagnosis and treatment) provided by the Department of Haematology is for the following:
- All kinds of lymphomas (malignancy of lymphatic system)
- Acute or chronic leukemia (wherein there is a large production of abnormal blood cells in bone marrow)
- Blood-clotting disorders like hemophilia (a genetic disorder wherein the bleeding time is prolonged)
- Non-functional plasma cells (i.e. primary amyloidosis and myeloma)
- Bone marrow failure syndromes such as myelodysplastic syndrome and aplastic anemia
- All types of anemia like sickle cell anemia, megaloblastic anemia, thalassemia, and iron deficiency anemia.
- Thrombophilia and venous thrombosis
- 24/7 available facility for patients suffering from tumor lysis syndrome and neutropenic sepsis
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytosis, and platelet pathologies
- Enlargements of glands and spleen.
Treatment and Surgeries
Coagulation And Thrombotic Disorders
Haemoglobin and platelet disorders
Lymphoma Hodgkin / Non Hodgkin
Plasma Cell disorders
Thalassemia And Other Haemoglobinopathies
Our Clinical Experts
Dr. Shubham Bhattacharya
Consultant - Hematology
Dr. Sisir Kumar Patra
Consultant- Hematologist, Hemato-oncologist and Bone Marrow Transplant physician.
Knee replacement is one of the most common orthopaedic procedures that involves the replacement of deteriorating knee joints with new prosthetic components. Depending upon the area of the knee joint that is affected, doctors may either recommend partial replacement or total replacement. The former is recommended when only a part of the knee joint is affected and aims at removing only the damaged section while leaving the remaining joint intact. The latter, on the other hand, is recommended when the complete knee joint is affected and needs to be replaced. Offered at the best multispeciality hospital in Kolkata, the procedure has helped hundreds and thousands of people lead pain-free life.
What everyone needs after a long tiring day is a good night’s sleep, and not being able to enjoy the same can be quite frustrating. While some people may fall asleep soon after lying down in their bed, others may spend their nights twisting and turning, waiting like an owl. The condition is commonly referred to as insomnia, and is defined as the inability to fall asleep, or maintain a peaceful sleep at night. The problem may be acute or chronic depending upon how long it lasts. As per the best doctor for sleep disorders, acute insomnia is usually a result of stress or some external factor, whereas chronic insomnia may be related to some serious underlying health issue.
A knee replacement surgery or medically known as total knee arthroplasty is a surgical procedure that involves relieving pain and restoring the normal functionality in a severely ailing knee joint.