The nervous system comprises of two divisions, including:
- Central Nervous System: The brain and the spinal cord
- Peripheral Nervous System: Neural elements such as eyes, ears, skin, and other sensory organs
Some of the common disorders treated by a Neurologist include:
- Headache disorders such as cluster headache and migraine
- Brain infection
- Infection in the peripheral nervous system
- Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorder
- Speech and language problems
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
- Multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases affecting the central nervous system
- Cerebrovascular problems such as stroke
- Disorders affecting the spinal cord such as autoimmune disorders
That said, neurologists do not perform any surgery but in case, a patient needs surgery, he/she is referred to a neurosurgeon.
When to visit a Neurologist?
Some symptoms that indicate the need to visit a neurologist include:
- Problems with coordination
- Weakness in muscles
- Sensation changes and problems
- Confusion and memory problems
- Consistent headache
- Problem with touch, vision or other senses
Top Neurologists in Kolkata If you have symptoms of a neurological problem and need to find a top neurologist in Kolkata, consider getting an advanced consultation at Calcutta Medical Research Institute (CMRI), Kolkata. CMRI is a multi-speciality hospital, established in 1969 with exemplary medical facilities and research provision.
The Neuroscience specialty of CMRI is one of the best in the country with a highly experienced and qualified team comprising:
- Top Neurologists
- Skillful Neurosurgeons
- Attentive Neuro-psychologists
- Focussed Psychiatrists
These doctors are assisted by an extremely skilful team of neuro-radiologists, rehabilitation specialities, critical care nurses, respiratory therapists, rehabilitation therapists, counsellors, etc. – that work together to provide the optimal neurological care to a patient.
Among other facilities, the Neurology services offered by CMRI include:
- Neuro-intensive Care Unit
- Stroke/TIA clinics
- Movement Disorders Clinic
- Epilepsy Clinic
- Headache Clinic
- Neuro-rehabilitation Department
Accreditations and features of CMRI Kolkata Neurology Department
- CMRI holds the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Health-care Providers (NABH).
- The hospital has 24*7 available trauma department, which is equipped with the highest expertise to offer care for patients experiencing issues such as head trauma, injury, etc.
- The hospital has dedicated and experienced Neuro-Psychiatric surgeons to provide t high-quality care for patients suffering from mental disorders, mental illnesses, as well as eating disorders, etc.
- CMRI has all equipment to conduct and diagnose any psychological tests for adults and children.
Among several specialities, the hospital offers a special clinic for:
- Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders
- CMRI has an advanced neuro-electrophysiology laboratory to help surgeons provide the right diagnosis of brain and other related neurological issues
- The paediatric neurosurgeons are well-equipped to deal with children suffering from major neurological disorders including epilepsy, balance disorders, learning disorders, cerebral palsy etc. These doctors provide comprehensive care and available for consultation and emergencies on a 24*7 basis.
- CMRI has the finest and best-in-class investigative technologies available.
- The panel of doctors in the Neurology department of CMRI is unparallel in their skills, experience and knowledge of the field.
Some of the top neurologists in Kolkata, who you can consider for consultation and treatment include:
- Dr Abhijit Chatterjee, Neurologist
- Dr Ajay Agarwal, Neurosurgeon
- Dr Arabinda Mukherjee, Neurologist
- Dr Deep Das, Neurologist
- Dr G. K. Prusty, Neurosurgeon
- Dr Indrajit Roy, Neurosurgeon
- Dr Kallol K. Dey, Neurologist
- Dr M. K. Manocha, Neurologist
- Dr Pahari Ghosh, Neurologist
- Dr Rudrajit Kanjilal, Neurologist
- Dr S. S. Nandi, Neurologist
- Dr Soumitra Roy, Neurologist
That is not all; there are several other recognised Neurologists and counsellors in CMRI that have years of experience and a strong reputation in this field. Trust CMRI to provide you with the best Neurological care in Kolkata. You can make an appointment with your choice of Neurologist on the official website or call the hospital directly.