Diagnostic centres are medical facilities that specialize in providing comprehensive diagnostic services through full-service imaging to ensure optimal patient care. Diagnostic centres play a very critical role in the healthcare system today and help people to get early and accurate diagnosis which ultimately reduces the disease burden improves treatment outcomes and optimizes health access. It is the most ideal medium for preventive healthcare which has become a necessity in the disease-prone and vulnerable world today.
These diagnostic centres have specialised equipment and trained specialists to perform the tests and provide results. These results are then assessed by the doctor who can conclude them. A diagnostic centre is not medically certified to provide any consultation independently. Diagnostic tests and imaging provide updated information on critical health indicators which enables ineffective management of health, prevent possible diseases, investigate concerning symptoms, continuous monitoring of existing conditions, and progress evaluation of medications/therapy given.
Some of the essential types of equipment used by diagnostic centres include:
- CT Scans
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scans
- Lab Equipment such as haematology analyser, biochemistry analyser, incubator, hormone analyser, urine analyser, etc.
- Radiology Equipment
- Pathologist Equipment
- Clinical Research Instruments
- ECG Machines
A good diagnostic centre is well equipped with medical facilities, medical professionals and up-to-date technologies to provide exhaustive analysis ranging from blood group to cancer.
How to find the best diagnostic centre in Kolkata?
If you want to get some tests done or want a regular preventive health check-up, you must ensure you select the best diagnostic centre to get verified results.
Some simple steps to find the best diagnostic centre in Kolkata include:
- Understand your symptoms and determine what you need: Symptoms such as high blood pressure, joint pain, chest ache, jaw pain, etc., could be possible indicators of an underlying health condition which should be diagnosed as early as possible. Hence, a person needs to identify and understand the symptoms and determine what kind of diagnosis is needed. In the case of preventive check-ups, you can decide a frequency based on the type of tests.
- Confirm the symptoms with a physician: Once you know the symptoms, consult a doctor to know what they could indicate; the physician will also advice certain diagnostic tests which would be required to confirm the analysis. Based on your age, gender, symptoms, and physical health the physician will suggest the necessary tests.
- Make a list of diagnostic centres: Once you know what you want, you must conduct online research on platforms such as Google, Practo or Justdial – to list down the nearby diagnostic centres. You can also ask your physician or family and friends for any recommendations.
- Narrow the list: Once you’ve made the list, narrow it down based on factors such as:
- The overall reputation of the centre
- The proximity of the centre
- Years of service
- Types of facilities such as home sample collection services
- Medical facilities
- Evaluate the diagnostic centres: Once the list is shortened, you must evaluate the diagnostic centre based on factors such as:
- Laboratory certifications
- Diagnostic technologies
- Kinds of tests available
- Health packages
- Medical advancements
- Recognitions and Awards
- The panel of medical professionals
- Accuracy rates of the compiled reports
- Availability of online reports
- Services and policies
- Check online reviews: After finalising the diagnostic centre based on the steps above, one must do exhaustive research online to read reviews about the diagnostic facility and its accuracy of results. You can also scout for reviews from doctors, family or friends.
- Call and book your slot: Once, you have positive reviews of the diagnostic centre, call them to make a booking. You can also check with them for diagnostic packages and other facilities such as home sample collection, discounts, etc. For preventive health checkups, these diagnostic centres provide combo offers and clubbed discounts as well.
That said, in case you want to visit a diagnostic centre to get a preventive health check-up. You can see below for some tests you must get done to stay abreast of your health:
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Physical exam
- Blood pressure
- Bone strength and mineral
- Lymph nodes
- Vitamins and calcium
- Eyes, Ears and Throat
Further, it is also important to get screened for cancer since the diagnosis of the disease plays a very important role in curing cancer. Some regular cancer screenings that one must get are:
In all, it is important to get a diagnosis from a good diagnostic centre to ensure you get authentic and verified results.